I'm so very, very excited about this cake. It looks beautiful and is very impressive. Tastes great!
6 egg whites
1/2 cup applesauce
1 cup water
1 (18 1/4-ounce) chocolate cake mix, dry (I use Betty Crocker Super Moist Butter Recipe.) Do not make as directed on box.
1 (20-ounce) can light cherry pie filling
· Preheat a slow cooker on high.
· Spray the slow cooker with nonfat cooking spray.
· In a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer beat the egg whites, applesauce, and water together on medium speed until soft peaks form.
· Gently fold the cake mix into the peaks.
· Pour the pie filling into the bottom of the cooker.
· Pour the batter over the pie filling. Do not stir.
· Place the paper towel on top of the slow cooker and place the lid over the paper towel to cover.
· Cook on high for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
· Turn off the cooker. If possible, take the crock out of slow cooker. Let it sit for 10 minutes.
· Remove the paper towel. Run a knife along edge of the slow cooker to loosen the cake.
· Place a large serving plate with an edge (so the sauce won't overflow off the plate) upside down on top of the slow cooker. Holding the slow cooker and plate firmly together, carefully flip the cake upside down. It will be steamy hot so be very careful.
· If desired serve with fat-free whipped topping or fat-free vanilla ice cream. Good served hot, cold, or at room temperature.
Note: Be careful lifting the slow cooker since the hot cherry pie filling will ooze down over the cake and onto the large serving plate. You may want to serve this dessert with a spoon from the slow cooker if you are concerned about inverting the cake.
Yield: 12 servings
Fat: 4 grams (17% fat)
Dietary Fiber: 2g
Protein: 4g Sodium: 364mg