Sheep's Milk Ricotta Gnudi & Fried Sage
· (serves 4)
· By Chef Matt Lawrence
· 1 lb fresh Sheep's Milk Ricotta
· 2/3 cup grated Grana Padna Parmesan
· Salt and ground white pepper to taste
· 3 cups semolina flour
· 4 tablespoons butter
· 14 sage leaves, some fried, some chopped
· ½ cup blended oil, for frying
· Mix the ricotta, the Parmesan and the squeezed lemon juice in a medium-bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. In a shallow platter, spread out a third of the semolina. Put the ricotta mixture equivalent of 1 tablespoon onto the semolina. Cover with the remaining semolina and refrigerate, uncovered, for at least 24 hours.
· When ready to proceed, pick up the gnudi from the semolina brushing off the excess, and roll them in the palm of your hands one by one to round them up (it also helps to ‘set' the skin). Refrigerate until ready to use.
· Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Fry the sage leaves in the canola oil and drain on paper towel. Gently drop the gnudi in the water and cook until they start coming back to the surface, about 3 minutes. In a large pan, melt the butter emulsify with a few tablespoons of the cooking water, add the chopped sage and carefully transfer the drained gnudi to the pan. They should hold their shape nicely. Season with salt and pepper. Toss gently. Sprinkle fried sage leaves, serve immediately.