Butternut and Acorn Squash Soup
1 lb butternut squash, halved and seeded
1 lb acorn squash, halved and seeded
2 oz olive oil
1 oz butter
1/8 cup chopped sweet onion
8 oz chicken broth
2 T packed brown sugar
5 ½ oz cream cheese, softened
½ teaspoons ground black pepper
ground cinnamon to taste (optional)
fresh parsley, for garnish
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Lightly oil squash halves and place the squash halves on a sheet tray.
3. Bake 45 minutes, or until tender.
4. Remove from heat, cool slightly.
5. Scoop the pulp from the skins. Discard skins.
6. Melt butter in a sauté pan and sauté onion until tender.
7. In a blender or food processor, blend the squash pulp, onion, broth, brown sugar, cream cheese, pepper, and cinnamon until smooth.
8. This may be done in several batches (or use immersion blender).
9. Transfer soup to a stock pot over medium heat, and cook, stirring occasionally, until hot throughout.
10. Garnish with parsley, and serve warm.
For more information about the culinary arts program at Owens Community College visit: www.owens.edu/academic_dept/health_tech/hri/culinary.html
For more information about the Maumee Valley Chef's Association: http://www.acfmvca.org/