120,000 of 174,000 customers still blacked out
DETROIT (AP) - DTE Energy Co. says about 120,000 homes and businesses were without power a day after severe thunderstorms struck parts of southern Michigan, blacking out 174,000 utility customers.
Tuesday's storms brought 60 mile-per-hour wind gusts that knocked down trees and power lines across a stretch of southern Michigan.
DTE says about 120,000 of its 165,000 affected customers remain powerless at midday Wednesday, the majority in Wayne County. It says mature trees knocked down some major power lines, slowing the restoration process.
DTE says most of the remaining outages should be ended by the end of the day Wednesday. CMS Energy Corp. says it's restored power to 9,000 blacked-out customers.
Flooding closed parts of some Detroit-area expressways Tuesday evening, but conditions were back to normal by Wednesday.
Detroit man arraigned in estranged wife's slaying
DETROIT (AP) - A Detroit man has been ordered held without bond in the slaying of his 27-year-old estranged wife.
A judge entered a not-guilty plea Wednesday during Erin Justice's arraignment in Detroit's 36th District Court on first-degree murder and weapons charges.
Alicia Fox's decomposed body was found June 9 in a vacant house on Detroit's west side. She had been shot to death.
The 28-year-old Justice has been fighting extradition following his arrest in June in the Atlanta area.
Authorities and volunteers have searched for but failed to find Fox's two children, 6-year-old Kaylah Hunter and 8-month-old Kristian Justice. Fox's sister, Christene Doughty, told reporters Wednesday that the family is expected to search again this weekend.
Justice was not represented by an attorney Wednesday. A preliminary examination is scheduled for Sept. 4.
MURDER ATTEMPT-AUTISTIC DAUGHTER
Lawyer can't drop case of mom of autistic teen
BEULAH, Mich. (AP) - Just days before trial, a defense lawyer has been ordered to stay on the case of a Michigan woman accused of trying to kill her autistic daughter.
Attorney Heidi Hodek says there has been a "total breakdown" in her relationship with Kelli Stapleton. But a Benzie County judge refused to remove Hodek on Tuesday.
The 46-year-old Stapleton is accused of trying to kill herself and her teenage daughter last year with carbon monoxide poisoning, by igniting charcoal grills inside a van. The girl has severe autism and sometimes had violent outbursts.
Trial is set for Sept. 3.
Stapleton hired Hodek to represent her. Prosecutor Sara Swanson says the judge indicated that Stapleton could fire Hodek if she's dissatisfied.
Swanson says there's no sign that Stapleton wants a new lawyer.
PARADE FLOAT-FATAL CRASH
2nd woman dies after parade vehicle crash
LAPEER TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) - Authorities say a second woman has died following a rural Michigan crash in which a car struck a parade vehicle.
Lapeer County sheriff's officials said Wednesday that 76-year-old Janet Lough of Lapeer died the day before at a hospital. Lough was among two critically injured in the Saturday crash in Lapeer Township that also claimed the life of 80-year-old Jeanette Rumptz.
Rumptz of Metamora Township died at the scene after turning her car left and into the truck converted to resemble a steam locomotive. It was heading to the Metamora Country Days parade about five miles away.
Lough was among seven people ejected from the specialty vehicle.
Officials say the vehicle's driver and another passenger remained in the hospital. Ten people were in the vehicle.
Authorities continue to investigate.
Arrival of immigrant children in Bay City delayed
BAY CITY, Mich. (AP) - Federal officials have pushed back plans to bring two dozen immigrant children from Central America to Bay City.
Wellspring Lutheran Services officials say the 24 children slated to arrive at the end of this month will now arrive sometime in September.
David Gehm, chief executive officer of the Frankenmuth-based nonprofit, told The Bay City Times that the organization received an award letter saying the contract was accepted. But he says they're still waiting for the federal government to return the contract.
The children are contracted to stay at Wellspring's Bay City facility for 30 to 45 days, but Gehm says they could be there for a shorter period. He says he has been in contact with other, more experienced organizations that said the average stay is closer to 20 days.
Court OKs dismissal of case tied to Arab festival
DEARBORN, Mich. (AP) - A federal court says there was no First Amendment violation when police urged Christian evangelists to leave an Arab-American street festival in 2012.
Members of a group called Bible Believers were pelted with water bottles and rocks after they told Muslims they were "sick" and would "burn in hell." Wayne County authorities said they were concerned about the unrest and threatened to ticket the evangelists unless they left the Dearborn fair.
In a 2-1 decision Wednesday, the appeals court says the sheriff's office was trying to maintain order, not regulate public speech. The court upheld dismissal of a lawsuit.
Dissenting Judge Eric Clay says authorities were illegally exercising a "heckler's veto." He says the First Amendment wouldn't be needed if it applied only in a "well-mannered marketplace of ideas."
MICHIGAN ST-WIZ KHALIFA
MSU cancels Wiz Khalifa show over California death
EAST LANSING, Mich. (AP) - Michigan State University says it canceled a concert featuring Wiz Khalifa because of safety concerns over a fatal shooting one of the rapper's shows.
The university says it will give full refunds to people who bought tickets for the Sept. 13 show at the Breslin Student Events Center.
In a statement, the East Lansing school says it called off the concert due to its "review of recent events and assessment of campus concerns."
Michigan State spokesman Jason Cody tells MLive.com that Friday's killing "obviously played a role" in the decision to cancel the show.
Thirty-eight-year-old Eric Johnson was fatally shot backstage during a concert in Mountain View, California, that featured Wiz Khalifa and fellow rapper Young Jeezy.
GENERAL MOTORS-TENNESSEE FACTORY
UAW: GM to move Cadillac SRX production to Tenn.
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - The United Auto Workers union says General Motors will move production of the next-generation Cadillac SRX crossover SUV from Mexico to Spring Hill, Tennessee.
It's unclear how many new jobs the move would create. The Spring Hill factory complex now employs about 1,600 hourly workers.
The union also says in a statement Wednesday that GM will invest $191 million at the Spring Hill complex to build new small gasoline engines. That investment will keep 415 jobs at the site.
In addition, the company will pump just under $50 million into its engine block casting plant in Bedford, Indiana, to build the new small engines. The union says that move will keep 43 jobs.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
730 North Summit Street