BOWLING GREEN, OH (WTOL) - Four people are dead after a head-on collision on I-75 early Friday morning.
According to Ohio State Highway Patrol, 69 year-old Winifred Lein of Perrysburg was driving the wrong way in the northbound lanes between State Route 582 and Sugar Ridge Road around 2:15 a.m. Friday when she hit a car carrying five Bowling Green State University students.
Lein was killed in the accident, along with three of the BGSU students. The other two students are listed in critical condition.
The three women who died are:
• Rebekah Blakkolb, 20, of Aurora, Ohio, a junior in the College of Education and Human Development.
• Christina Goyett, 19, of Bay City, Mich., a sophomore in the College of Education and Human Development.
• Sarah Hammond, 21, of Yellow Springs, Ohio, a junior in the College of Education and Human Development.
The two women injured are:
• Angelica Mormile, 19, of Garfield Heights, Ohio, a freshman in the College of Arts and Sciences.
• Kayla Somoles, 19, of Cleveland, Ohio, a sophomore in the College of Education and Human Development.
The five are all members of the Alpha Xi Delta sorority at BGSU and were on their way to Detroit Metro Airport for a spring break trip.
It is unclear where Lein entered the highway traveling in the wrong direction, but police received several 911 calls from drivers who noticed her driving the wrong way.
"They gave us the information. We had a trooper in the area. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to get the vehicle stopped or in time," said Lieutenant Dean Laubacher.
The first call came in around 2:10 a.m. when a truck driver saw Lein near mile marker 193 in Perrysburg. Wood County dispatch called Ohio State Highway Patrol, which sent an officer to catch Lein.
"The trooper started northbound on the interstate to try to intercept it. He got a mile down the road, and the vehicle passed him," said Laubacher. "He attempted to turn and get the vehicle stopped [but] the crash occurred several seconds later."
Another car of BGSU students swerved to avoid Lein's vehicle before it stuck the car carrying Blakkolb, Goyett, Hammond, Mormile and Somoles.
Copyright 2012 WTOL. All rights reserved.