TOLEDO, OH (TOLEDO NEWS NOW) - A north Toledo man safely escaped a house fire after waking up to find the couch he was sleeping on had caught fire.
It happened near Chestnut and Palmer streets. The resident said he fell asleep on the couch while smoking. He tried to put the fire out himself with no luck and eventually called for help.
The fire department was dispatched to the scene and was able to put out the fire. The home has extensive damage.
"The important thing to remember is if you do have some type of fire in your house, don't delay calling us. We'd rather you exit the house and call us, rather than stay and try to put the fire out," said the public information officer for Toledo Fire and Rescue, Lt. Matthew Hertzfeld.
He also reminds people that furniture is very flammable.
Copyright 2012 Toledo News Now. All rights reserved.