Red, White and Blue BBQ Chicken Nachos (Nacho Bar)
Firecracker Guacamole (and other toppings)
Cool Cucumber Salad
Red, White and Blue BBQ Chicken Nachos
Bring 3/4 cup Meijer brand barbecue sauce ($0.58) and1/4 cup water to a simmer. Add 2 cups shredded cooked chicken ($2.07); heat through. Top ½ bag of Meijer Organics Blue Corn Tortilla Chips ($1.40) with chicken and 1 1/2 cups Kraft 2% Colby jack or Mexican blend shredded Cheese ($1.41). Bake until cheese melts then top with topping ideas.
Nacho Bar Topping Ideas: ** prices vary and are not included in total cost
• Firecracker Guacamole (recipe below)
• Chopped scallions
• Sliced avocado
• Black beans
• Plain Greek yogurt (instead of sour cream)
• Black olives
• Jalapeno peppers
• Fresh tomatoes
• Sliced romaine lettuce
Makes 2 servings
2-3 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, peeled, seeded and coarsely mashed ($2.00)
¼ cup minced green onions ($0.05)
1 ripe tomato, seeded and diced ($0.25)
1 habanero chile, stemmed, seeded and minced (or less, to taste) ($0.15)
1Tbsp. lemon juice (on-hand)
Salt, to taste (on-hand)
1. Gently combine all ingredients in a medium serving bowl. Let sit for at least 10 minutes for the flavors to blend. Serve and enjoy!
Source: California Avocado Commission (www.avocado.org)
Cool Cucumber Salad
Makes 6 (1/2-cup) servings.
2 cups thinly sliced cucumbers (4 small or 2 large cucumbers) ($1.18)
1/2 tsp. Meijer salt (on-hand)
1 cup thinly sliced red onion ($0.30)
1/4 cup Meijer vinegar (on-hand)
1/4 cup water (on-hand)
1 Tbsp. Meijer sugar (on-hand)
1/2 tsp. McCormick® Dill Weed (on-hand)
1/4 tsp. McCormick® Black Pepper, Coarse Ground (on-hand)
Pinch McCormick® Red Pepper, Ground (on-hand)
1. Place cucumber slices in medium bowl. Sprinkle with salt. Stir in onions.
2. Mix remaining ingredients in small bowl. Pour over cucumbers and onions; toss lightly. Cover.
3. Refrigerate 1 hour or until ready to serve. Toss before serving.
Nutrition information per serving: 28 calories, 0g fat, 0mg cholesterol, 197mg sodium, 6g carbohydrates, 1g fiber, 1g protein.
Other idea: Sour Cream Dill Cucumber Salad: Prepare cucumbers and onion as directed. Omit vinegar, water and sugar. Mix 1/2 cup sour cream and seasonings. Toss with cucumber mixture.