The man accused of calling in a bomb threat against LSU on Monday, which led to the evacuation of the entire campus, has a laundry list of previous charges.
William Bouvay Jr., known to his friends as "Boobie," has been in trouble before. His criminal history includes charges from petty crimes to attempted second degree murder. In the attempted second degree murder charge, he is accused of choking out his then wife.
Bouvay has bounced back and forth through the court system; either getting his charges dropped or serving small amounts of jail time, and eventually getting probation.
LSU police have arrested Bouvay before, for terrorizing and threatening to kill his former girlfriend, an employee at LSU continuing education and independent studies.
In that case, Bouvay called the woman's office at LSU multiple times, and at one point, threatened to go to the campus and shoot her.
Bouvay served a small amount of jail time for the charge and eventually received probation.
Bouvay is accused of calling the EBR 911 center Monday at 10:32 a.m. and telling the operator that there were three bombs placed around the LSU campus. The call was recorded. In the police report from the East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office, what Bouvay said to the 911 operator was recorded.
"Yes, I've planted three bombs at LSU's school campus. My colleagues planted three bombs at LSU to go off in two hours if my (pause). This is not a joke. I'm gonna go there and... (call disconnected)."
Bouvay is currently in the East Baton Rouge Parish Prison and being held on a $1 million bond.
He is facing a maximum sentence of 35 years in prison if convicted on the new charges stemming from Monday's bomb threat.
"Given his history, I think 20 years is appropriate but that's up to the courts to decide," said East Baton Rouge Parish District Attorney Hillar Moore.
The campus was evacuated around 11:30 a.m. Monday after officials received a phone threat. Students that live in residence halls were left waiting for word it was safe to return.
When some 35,000 students, faculty and staff were told to evacuate from campus, the buildings were quickly cleared, and no one was injured.
The threat came in the wake of bomb scares at several other large universities around the nation last week. Officials do not believe the LSU bomb threat is related to any other bomb threat reported around the nation.
Residents living on campus were allowed back into their dorm rooms just after 8 p.m. and the entire campus was given the all clear around 11 p.m.
All 250 buildings on campus had to be checked first.
Copyright 2012 WAFB. All rights reserved.
730 North Summit Street