Spaghetti Squash with Pumpkin Turkey Chili
Enjoy the flavors of fall with this healthy twist on Cincinnati Chili. Using spaghetti squash in place of regular pasta reduces calories and provides a nutrient boost. Pumpkin puree adds health promoting antioxidants and helps to create a rich and satisfying full bodied chili.
Pumpkin Turkey Chili
1 cup chopped white onion (NuVal™ Score 93)
1 bell pepper, chopped (NuVal™ Score 96)
1 pkg (1.25lb) Jennie-O lean ground turkey (NuVal™ Score 46)
1 pkg (1.25 oz.) Meijer Chili Seasoning Mix
1 Tbsp. to 1 1/2 Tbsp. McCormick Southwest Seasoning spice blend (optional)
1 can (15 oz.) Pumpkin puree (NuVal™ Score 94)
1 1/2 cups Meijer reduced sodium chicken broth (NuVal™ Score 4)
1 can (15.25 oz.) reduced sodium black beans, undrained (NuVal™ Score 89)
1 can (15.25 oz.) Meijer corn (no salt added) (NuVal™ Score 91)
1 can (28 oz.) Meijer diced tomatoes (NuVal™ Score 44)
1. Brown ground turkey, onion and bell pepper in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook until turkey is evenly browned.
2. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low.
3. Simmer 30 minutes. Add more broth or water for thinner chili.
4. Salt and Pepper to taste, if desired. Serve over spaghetti squash.
Tip: Spoon single portion servings of chili into freezer safe containers. Pull from the freezer and thaw for a quick lunch or fast dinner alternative to fast food on busy nights.
Nutrition Information (per serving): 347 Calories, 7g Fat, 2g Saturated Fat, 50mg Cholesterol, 410 mg Sodium, 44g Carbohydrate, 12g Fiber, 27g Protein.
1-2 large spaghetti squash (about 2 ½ to 3 pounds)
Meijer nonstick cooking spray (for oven baking)
Salt and pepper to taste
Oven Bake Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Halve spaghetti squash lengthwise and remove seeds and membranes. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
3. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Place squash halves cut side down on baking sheet and bake 45 to 50 minutes, until tender.
4. When cool enough to handle, use a fork and separate the spaghetti squash into strands.
5. Serve topped with Pumpkin Chili.
Microwave Oven Directions:
1. Halve spaghetti squash lengthwise and remove seeds and membranes. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
2. Place squash half cut side down in a microwave-safe baking dish with 1/3 cup water. Microwave on high for 5 to 8 minutes, until tender. Repeat with 2nd half.
3. When cool enough to handle, use a fork and separate the spaghetti squash into strands.
4. Serve topped with Pumpkin Chili
Tip: To serve just one or two, select smaller spaghetti squash (about 3/4 to 1 lb. squash for two). Prepare as directed above.
WTOL $10 Tuesday – October 2, 2012
Tina Miller, MS RD Meijer Dietitian and Healthy Living Advisor
For more information, visit www.meijermealbox.com
Tips for a great tailgate:
1. The Menu: Plan a menu that takes advantage of foods in peak season, from grilled zucchini early in the tailgate season, to chili topped potatoes later in the season. Also, plan your menu to balance out your "labor". Don't include too many dishes that require extensive time or effort. Balance more complex dishes with simple to prepare items or pick up pre-made items (such as Meijer deli meat trays, vegetable trays, salads and fruit platters).
2. Offer a variety of foods: Include several healthy options and add in a few indulgent treats for fun. Balance high calories foods, such as bratwurst, with fresh vegetables and light dips.
3. Have snacks available: Fruit, nuts, crackers, cheese, chips, dips, hummus; you get the idea. Make sure that food is available whenever your tailgating guests are enjoying alcoholic beverages.
4. Keep it safe: Hot foods need to be kept hot—a propane or charcoal grill can help to keep foods warm outdoors. Keep cold foods chilled using coolers packed with plenty of ice. Store coolers in a shaded area (even when it's cool outside—the heat of the sun can raise the temperature inside the cooler).
5. Have plenty of non-alcoholic options available. Water, carbonated beverages, tea (iced or hot), and coffee drinks are great options to alcohol. Try preparing special beverages for your guests, such as a simple blend of pink lemonade (2/3 cup) with cranberry juice (1/3 cup).
Roasted Shallot & Garlic Greek Yogurt Dip
8 unpeeled shallots
6 unpeeled garlic cloves
2 tbsp. Meijer Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 cups Meijer Low-Fat Plain Greek Yogurt
¼ cup fresh chives, chopped
Salt to taste
1. Toss shallots and garlic in oil on a baking sheet. Bake at 350„aF until soft, 20 to 30 minutes. Cool, and then peel.
2. Finely chop and mix with yogurt, chives, and salt to taste.
3. Garnish with chives and serve with Football Spinach Chips or veggie sticks.
Nutrition Information: Calories 82, Fat 2 g, Cholesterol 15 mg, Sodium 350 mg, Carbohydrate 10 g, Fiber 0 g, Protein 11 g
Greek Yogurt has double the amount of protein as regular yogurt! It is thicker than regular yogurt because it is strained to remove the liquid whey before being packaged. The resulting product is concentrated casein, a milk protein that contains all nine of the essential amino acids needed to build protein. Because of its thick, creamy texture, Greek yogurt is a great healthy alternative to mayonnaise or sour cream.
Football Spinach Chips
Meijer Organics Canola Oil Cooking Spray
Salt for taste
Spinach tortilla wraps
1. With a football cookie cutter, cut out as many footballs as possible from tortillas.
Place on baking sheet lightly coated in cooking spray.
2. Spray shamrocks cooking spray and sprinkle with salt. Bake at 375 degrees for about 7 - 10 minutes, checking often.
Fiesta 7 Layer Dip
Serves 14 (1/2 cup servings)
1 can (10 oz.) Meijer Naturals diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 can (16 oz.) Meijer Refried beans
1 1/2 cups (about 1 12 oz. container) prepared guacamole (in the deli section)
1 container (16 oz.) Meijer reduced fat sour cream
1 pkg. (1.25 oz.) reduced sodium taco seasoning mix
1 cup shredded 2% milk cheddar cheese (or Mexican blend cheese)
1 small can (2.25 oz.) Meijer sliced ripe olives, drained
¼ cup sliced green onion
1. Reserve ½ cup drained tomatoes; set aside. Blend remaining tomatoes (including liquid) with beans in a medium bowl.
2. Spread bean mixture in an 8x8-inch dish or round casserole dish. Top with guacamole.
3. Blend sour cream with taco seasoning mix. Spread over guacamole.
4. Top evenly with layers of cheese, olives, green onions and reserved tomatoes.
5. Chill 2 hours prior to serving. Serve with Meijer tortilla chips.
Recipe adapted from Meijer Taste of the Game 2011
Beef and Spinach Pinwheels
Makes about 24 appetizer portions
4 oz. Meijer reduced fat cream cheese softened
1 Tbsp. prepared horseradish
4 (8-inch) Meijer whole wheat tortillas
1 ½ cups baby spinach leaves
8 oz. thinly sliced Markets of Meijer deli roast beef
4 oz. sliced reduced fat provolone
1. Combine cream cheese and horseradish in a small mixing bowl.
2. Spread cream mixture on 1 side of each tortilla. Top each with spinach leaves, roast beef and provolone cheese. Tightly roll up and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate up to 24 hours.
3. Cut each tortilla into 1-inch thick round pieces to serve.
Recipe adapted from Meijer Taste of the Game 2011
Grilled Ham & Pineapple Kabobs
1 lb. Markets of Meijer Low-Sodium Honey Smoked Ham, cut into cubes or thick slices
1 can Meijer Pineapple Chunks in 100% Juice, reserve juice
8 wooden skewers, soaked in water
2 tbsp. Meijer Canola Oil
1. Preheat grill to medium heat. Meanwhile, place ham and pineapple on skewers.
2. Pour reserved pineapple juice over skewers and let sit for 10 minutes.
3. Coat grill rack lightly with canola oil and place skewers on grill. Grill each side for about 4 minutes or until heated through and forms grill marks.
Chili-Garlic Rubbed Shrimp
4 Tbsp. Meijer Olive Oil
1 ½ tsp. McCormick crushed red pepper flakes
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (or 1/2 Tbsp. dried)*
1/4 tsp. hot sauce
2 tsp. freshly grated lime zest
1 lime, juiced
1 lb. Meijer large (raw) shrimp, peeled and deveined
*Fresh parsley may be substituted for cilantro, if desired.
1. Combine oil, red pepper flakes, garlic, half of the cilantro, hot sauce, lime zest and lime juice in a small bowl to make marinade. Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
2. Add shrimp to marinade. Cover and let stand 20 minutes.
3. Coast grill with non-stick cooking spray. Preheat grill to medium heat (about 300 to 350 degrees). Thread shrimp onto 8 skewers (soak wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes prior to using to prevent burning).
4. Place skewers on grill and grill 5 to 7 minutes or until shimp are opaque, turning once. Remove skewers from grill; sprinkle with remaining cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.
Recipe adapted from Meijer Taste of the Game 2011
Fruit Pizza- Tailgate Style
For the cookie crust:
1 large egg white
¼ cup Meijer Canola Oil
¼ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/3 cup white whole-wheat flour
¼ tsp. Meijer Ground Cinnamon
¼ tsp. baking soda
1 cup Meijer Naturals Quick Oats
Meijer Canola Oil Cooking spray
For the topping:
3 oz. reduced fat cream cheese, softened
1 (6-ounce) container Meijer Organics Nonfat Vanilla Yogurt
Assortment of fruit for topping the pizza
1. Preheat the oven to 375° F.
2. Use a medium-mixing bowl to beat egg white until foamy. Add oil and sugar. Beat until smooth.
3. Use a small bowl to stir together the flour, cinnamon, and baking soda. Add to sugar mixture. Stir in oatmeal.
4. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray. Spread the dough in a 9-inch circle.
5. Bake about 12 minutes. Crust will begin to puff but does not look done. Remove from oven and let cool about 20 minutes. The crust continues to cook while cooling.
6. Use a small bowl to stir together the cream cheese and yogurt until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cool.
7. Transfer the crust to a serving plate. Spread the cream cheese mixture over the crust. Arrange fruit on top.
8. Cut into wedges and serve, or refrigerate up to 2 hours, covered and uncut.
Fresh Greek Pasta
3 cups Meijer Multi-grain Penne Pasta, cooked
1 cup kalamata olives, pitted and halved
1 cup Cannellini beans (rinsed and drained)
1 tsp. Greek seasoning
1/2 cup Greek Salad Dressing (add a touch more for a wetter salad)
1/4 cup matchstick carrots
1 cup plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 cup diced bell peppers (use a blend of colors)
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
Garnish: fresh beets, steamed and sliced
1. Mix pasta, olives, beans, seasoning, dressing, carrots, tomatoes and bell peppers in a large bowl until well blended.
2. Add feta cheese and mix. Serve garnish with fresh beet slices.
730 North Summit Street