Palmer Fire Chief Alan Roy told CBS 3 that when crews first arrived there was heavy fire showing from the second floor of the house at 27 Fox St.
"It is never good whatever time of year this happens," said neighbor Kevin Aldrich. "But especially this [holiday] time of year, it is hard."
Aldrich has lived next door to the burned house for the past 25 years.
As of Friday, the house is no more. Palmer officials consider the building to be a total loss.
"I am sure they had Christmas presents," said Aldrich. "I know they had televisions in there that are not going to work anymore. There is like 2 to 3 inches of water in a couple of the bedrooms that we went through, getting stuff out for them this morning."
Officials announced the cause of the fire was a working oil lamp, which is similar to a tiki torch. They said that lamp tipped over on the second floor and lit combustible material. Roy said the residents could not contain the blaze.
"The police department and the state fire marshal's office did their interviews Thursday night," said Roy. "That is the cause that we were given today. They have completed their investigation."
Aldrich said it has turned into a rough holiday season for the displaced family.
"They are shocked," Aldrich stated. "They do not know what they are going to do. I guess if I was in the same position, I do not know what I would do either. There is really no place for them to go."
The American Red Cross is assisting the family.
Roy said the house was one of the older buildings in town, as it was built in 1840.
Copyright 2012 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
Thursday, May 23 2013 8:42 AM EDT2013-05-23 12:42:50 GMT
Springfield police are investigating a shooting at the corner of Belmont Avenue and Hollywood St. Wednesday night. Police say one person has been shot and aren't releasing further information. CBSMore >>
Springfield police are investigating a shooting at the corner of Belmont Avenue and Hollywood Street Wednesday night.More >>
Wednesday, May 22 2013 10:50 PM EDT2013-05-23 02:50:05 GMT
A 16-year-old student is lucky to be alive after being struck by lightning Tuesday. It all happened on the MacDuffie School campus in Granby. Three students were struck by lightning Tuesday evening afterMore >>
A 16-year-old student is lucky to be alive after being struck by lightning Tuesday.More >>
Thursday, May 23 2013 11:55 AM EDT2013-05-23 15:55:08 GMT
(RNN) - Dozens of Cleveland restaurants have pledged to give the man who rescued three Ohio women from captivity, free burgers for life. Charles Ramsey, the guy who famously stopped eating his Big MacMore >>
More than a dozen of Cleveland restaurants have pledged to give the man who rescued three Ohio women from captivity, free burgers for life.More >>
Wednesday, May 22 2013 9:38 PM EDT2013-05-23 01:38:14 GMT
MOORE, OK - The trembling, mud-spattered dog whose photo went viral on Tuesday was not actually standing watch over her owner's body - her name is Susie, her owner is named Curtis Collins, and he's alive.ThanksMore >>
There's a happy ending to the story of the little dog who was found standing guard over a body after the EF-5 tornado that decimated her neighborhood in Moore, OK. Her owner is alive, and they have been reunited thanks to the viral photo. More >>
Thursday, May 23 2013 5:08 PM EDT2013-05-23 21:08:19 GMT
Our "Help for Oklahoma" effort is currently underway now in Downtown Springfield. CBS 3, Masslive.com, The Republican, WHYN-AM, KIX 100.9 and MIX 93.1 have partnered with the American Red Cross in toMore >>
The "Help for Oklahoma" effort is currently under way in Downtown Springfield.More >>