Monday, January 14 2013 10:37 PM EST2013-01-15 03:37:14 GMT
A second person who was injured in a University Heights fire on New Year's Day has died. A statement was released Monday morning on a Facebook page for Ellen Garner: It is with absolutely broken heartsMore >>
A second University of Cincinnati student has died after a house fire on New Year's Day in University Heights. Services are scheduled for Friday in Tipp City, Ohio. More >>
Wednesday, January 9 2013 4:01 PM EST2013-01-09 21:01:19 GMT
A victim in a University Heights house fire died on Monday. Chad Kohls, 21, passed away from injuries he received during a fire on New Year's Day. Police were called to a reported blaze in the 2800 blockMore >>
The visitation for Chad Kohls is scheduled for Friday from 4 to 7 p.m. at Fairhaven Church, located at 637 E. Whipp Road in Centerville. The service will follow immediately after, also at the church. More >>
Monday, January 7 2013 10:27 AM EST2013-01-07 15:27:25 GMT
The family of a University of Cincinnati student who was critically injured in a fire on Digby Street has issued a statement. Ellen Garner, 20, and Chad Kohls, 21, remain hospitalized at University ofMore >>
The family of a University of Cincinnati student who was critically injured in a fire on Digby Street has issued a statement.More >>
UNIVERSITY HEIGHTS, OH (FOX19) -
We now know the names of two young adults who were badly injured when a multi-family home caught fire near UC's campus.
Three people were hurt after a fire broke out in a University Heights home, near the University of Cincinnati.
Fire crews were called to a house in the 2800 block of Digby Street around 6:50 a.m. on Tuesday.
Officials say the fire started in the second floor bedroom of a three multi-family floor home.
A neighbor woke up to the early morning commotion, who found the street filled with emergency vehicles.
"When I looked across the street then I seen the fire department trying to get into the house and started to get the ladders and everything else." said Alex Fodor, who lives across the street. "Some kids came out barefoot. No shoes. No nothing. They were standing over here on my sidewalk."
Ellen Garner, 20 and Chad Kohls, 21, were sleeping on the third floor when the fire broke out; they were trapped by the smoke.
The pair suffered smoke inhalation. As of Thursday afternoon, they are still in critical condition at UC Medical Center (UCMC).
A third person suffered some minor burns.
Fodor did not know the victims personally, but said they were cordial whenever he encountered them.
"I hope they're going to pull through, and I feel sorry for their parents too. They're going to go through a lot of problems. A lot of trouble." said Fodor.
There were a total of seven people in the house at the time of the fire.
Crews at the scene told our reporter that there were working smoke detectors in the home.
It was caused by an electric space heater sitting too close to a bed. Damage to the home is estimated at $20,000.
Scientists unveiled an unprecedented new look at our planet at night.More >>
Scientists unveiled an unprecedented new look at our planet at night. A global composite image, constructed using cloud-free night images from a new NASA and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) satellite, shows the glow of natural and human-built phenomena across the planet in greater detail than ever before.More >>