Attorneys gave opening statements in Charles Wilhite's new murder trial on Tuesday. The Springfield man is getting another shot at freedom after being convicted of first-degree murder more than two years ago.
Wilhite and co-defendant Angel Hernandez were convicted in 2010. Since that time, a key witness recanted his statement identifying Wilhite as the shooter, and the 30-year-old was granted a new trial.
During Tuesday morning's opening statements, the Commonwealth told the jury that although Wilhite is the only one on trial this time, they will be presenting lots of evidence about his previous co-defendant and the connection that links both to the murder.
"The theory of the murder, ladies and gentlemen, from the Commonwealth is what we call a joint venture," said assistant district attorney Blake Rubin. "The theory, ladies and gentlemen, is that both Mr. Hernandez and Mr. Wilhite together killed Alberto Rodriguez."
Wilhite's defense attorney asked the jury to listen carefully throughout the trial.
"I only ask you one point at this thing in time, ladies and gentlemen, and that's to keep an open mind throughout all the proceedings in this case," said defense attorney William O'Neil. "Don't make up your mind after hearing from one witness or old exhibit."
At this point, Wilhite has been in jail for more than three years. Throughout that time, his friends, family and members of the community have formed an organization titled Justice for Charles to fight for his freedom.
"This is his second time facing a natural life sentence without the possibility of parole," said Wilhite's aunt, Vira Cage. "So this is our opportunity right here in Springfield to make it right this time, and that's what our chant is no crime no time justice this time."
The trial will resume Wednesday morning in Superior court.
Copyright 2013 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
Monday, May 20 2013 9:18 PM EDT2013-05-21 01:18:04 GMT
Police tape circled a busy Westfield intersection Monday afternoon as investigators worked to piece together a tragic accident that left a little boy dead. Witnesses told CBS 3 he had been out on an afternoonMore >>
Police tape circled a busy Westfield intersection Monday afternoon as investigators worked to piece together a tragic accident that left a little boy dead.More >>
Monday, May 20 2013 7:26 PM EDT2013-05-20 23:26:40 GMT
Westfield police say a child has been killed in a traffic accident this afternoon near the corner of Montgomery and Crown Street. CBS 3 has a crew on the way and will bring the latest information to youMore >>
Westfield police say a 7-year-old boy has been killed in a traffic accident this afternoon near the corner of Montgomery and Crown Street.More >>
Tuesday, May 21 2013 10:16 PM EDT2013-05-22 02:16:08 GMT
Residents in tornado-stricken Moore, OK, await news on missing love ones Tuesday, a day after a massive tornado devastated the city, killing at least 51. Rescuers worked all night, with particular attentionMore >>
The tornado, with winds up to 200 mph, cut a 20-mile stretch as wide as two miles through the Oklahoma City metro area. The medical examiner's office reported 24 people died, including nine children. More >>
Tuesday, May 21 2013 11:45 AM EDT2013-05-21 15:45:00 GMT
The Springfield City Council has voted to have residents vote on whether they want a casino on July 16th. MGM is proposing to build an $800 million casino in Springfield's South End. The company requestedMore >>
The Springfield City Council has voted to have residents vote on whether they want a casino on July 16.More >>