Update on deadly police chase with Cleveland officials
CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) -
Cleveland Mayor Frank G. Jackson, Public Safety Director Martin Flask and Chief of Police Michael McGrath provided an update on the administrative review of a deadly police chase and shooting on Tuesday morning.
There was no final decision released. The meeting was primarily an update on where the city stands with its part of the investigation.
The city now says at least 63 police cars were involved in the chase. The number is higher than what the chief said last week. The chase went on for nearly 25 minutes.
For internal review, 115 police personnel will be interviewed. The city had predicted findings by end of January, but now, no telling.
50 cars had automatic vehicle locators. All are being checked to confirmed exact locations.
Last week, 19 Action News spoke with Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine, whom is handling the criminal investigation. He says that will be wrapped up in the next few weeks.
Timothy Russell, 43, and Malissa Williams, 30, died when officers fired 137 bullets into their car after a high-speed chase on November 29, 2012.
The Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner released the autopsy reports earlier this week, and revealed Williams was shot 24 times and Russell was shot 23 times.