Tuite family of Sylvania Township honored for smoke detector use - Toledo News Now, Breaking News, Weather, Sports, Toledo

State fire marshal honors Sylvania Twp. family

Posted: Updated:
Dawn and Joe Tuite say smoke detectors saved their family when they lost nearly everything in a house fire. Dawn and Joe Tuite say smoke detectors saved their family when they lost nearly everything in a house fire.
SYLVANIA TOWNSHIP, OH (Toledo News Now) -

A Sylvania Township family is living proof that smoke detectors save lives.

A week before Thanksgiving of 2012, the Tuites lost nearly everything in a fire. But they say they owe their lives to a smoke detector. For that, they were honored by the state fire marshal's office.

Just before 11:30 p.m. on November 15, the family was asleep when the smoke detector in their home went off. Dawn Tuite heard the alarm and awoke her family. They grabbed two pets in arms length and, with no shoes or blankets, went outside to call for help.

Fire crews arrived in minutes, but the house was burned to the foundation. A third pet made it out safely, as did a few family pictures and the wedding rings Dawn and her husband Joe share.

The state honored the family Tuesday for having working smoke detectors that saved the one thing they can't replace -- their lives.

 Smoke detectors are available for free at the Sylvania Township Fire Department.

Copyright 2013 Toledo News Now. All rights reserved.