Friday, May 17 2013 7:16 PM EDT2013-05-17 23:16:53 GMT
One person has died in a crash near Harrisonville, MO, Thursday evening. The crash happened on Missouri Highway 7 and Walker Road. It involved a car and a tractor-trailer. Harrisonville is in Cass County.More >>
Savannah Nash celebrated her 16th birthday last week. She died Thursday when her car slammed into a semi while she was texting during her first time driving by herself.More >>
Thousands of dollars can be saved by not skimping on certain home maintenance tasks each year. Here are a few to keep in mind:
1) Check for mold on a regular basis. Top areas to check include the attic, basement, and bathrooms, or anywhere with poor ventilation. Clean your bathroom vent every 2-4 months to avoid back-up.
2) A yearly H-VAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning) tune-up by a professional can help prevent a furnace blower breakdown.
3) "I've seen people who have to replace an entire wall because of termites," said Polyana da Costa with Bankrate.com. An annual termite inspection can save you the trouble.
4) Have your chimney swept and inspected for cracks each year to avoid a fire.
5) "Periodically, the dryer vent either needs to be cleaned out, or it needs to be really replaced if it's a flexible dryer vent," said Robert Weitz, an environmental inspector and founder of RTK Environmental Group.
6) Clean out your gutters 4-6 times a year to prevent flooding and water damage.
7) Have your roof inspected once a year to stay on top of deterioration.
8) If you have a wood deck, be sure to power wash and seal it every 1-3 years, depending on use. Replacing an entire deck can cost $4-20,000!