Sunday, August 31 2014 3:28 PM EDT2014-08-31 19:28:29 GMT
Disturbing pictures of an injured kindergartner from Pascagoula have made a mother's call for action go viral online.More >>
Disturbing pictures of an injured kindergartner from Pascagoula have made a mother's call for action go viral online. Friends and family of a Pascagoula kindergarten student have created a Facebook page and GoFundMe.com account claiming the girl was attacked on the playground this week by another student.More >>
Monday, September 1 2014 10:33 PM EDT2014-09-02 02:33:26 GMT
The Mississippi Highway Patrol has issued an Amber Alert for 17-year-old Katelyn Beard. She was abducted Saturday morning from between 6:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m. from 4244 Lynda Street in Jackson. BeardMore >>
Dewayne Thompson, wanted in the wounding and kidnapping of 17-year-old Katelyn Beard, has been captured by Jackson Police. He was taken into custody around 5:45 in west Jackson near where Beard's vehicle was found earlier today.
Tuesday, August 19 2014 4:53 PM EDT2014-08-19 20:53:02 GMT
A cross was burned in the yard of a Smith County man after what his family is referring to as a vicious hate crime occurred. Family members say that Craig Wilson was beaten with brass knuckles and shotMore >>
A burning cross, a Smith county man beaten and shot by a family member, and in critical condition. We are told this is much more than a family feud, and outraged family members are calling it a "hate crime."
Thousands of dollars can be saved by not skimping on certain home maintenance tasks each year. Here are a few to keep in mind:
1) Check for mold on a regular basis. Top areas to check include the attic, basement, and bathrooms, or anywhere with poor ventilation. Clean your bathroom vent every 2-4 months to avoid back-up.
2) A yearly H-VAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning) tune-up by a professional can help prevent a furnace blower breakdown.
3) "I've seen people who have to replace an entire wall because of termites," said Polyana da Costa with Bankrate.com. An annual termite inspection can save you the trouble.
4) Have your chimney swept and inspected for cracks each year to avoid a fire.
5) "Periodically, the dryer vent either needs to be cleaned out, or it needs to be really replaced if it's a flexible dryer vent," said Robert Weitz, an environmental inspector and founder of RTK Environmental Group.
6) Clean out your gutters 4-6 times a year to prevent flooding and water damage.
7) Have your roof inspected once a year to stay on top of deterioration.
8) If you have a wood deck, be sure to power wash and seal it every 1-3 years, depending on use. Replacing an entire deck can cost $4-20,000!