An accused Toledo killer briefly escaped from custody Saturday afternoon only to be re-captured several minutes later.
23 year old Jonathan Johnson made his getaway while being transported back to the Lucas County Jail from Mercy St. Vincent Medical Center.
On Friday, Johnson was captured and became the third suspect charged in last October's shooting death of 22 year old Jonathan Morris.
Sheriff John Tharp says Johnson had been taken to the hospital for treatment of a stomach ailment.
He was released from the hospital and being returned to jail by deputies when he slipped out of his leg shackles.
Sheriff Tharp says Johnson assaulted the deputies and bolted for Cherry Street.
Authorities set up a four block search perimeter.
Johnson didn't enjoy his freedom for long.
After a fifteen minute search, he was found hiding on Stacy Mezo's back porch in the 100 Block of Palmer Street.
That's right behind the Central Catholic High School football stadium.
"We heard cop cars out here but we didn't know what was going on. Then it sounded like someone was trying to get to our backdoor. Then police grabbed him out of a storage closet on the back porch," said Ms. Mezo.
Sheriff Tharp says additional charges are now pending against Johnson as a result of the escape attempt.
Copyright 2013 Toledo News Now. All rights reserved.
730 North Summit Street