Wednesday, August 20 2014 1:35 PM EDT2014-08-20 17:35:47 GMT
Lyndi Trischler has a passion for police work. She became a Florence Police officer in February 2012. Last year, she welcomed her first daughter and a few months later became pregnant with her firstMore >>
Lyndi Trischler has a passion for police work. That's why she became a Florence Police officer in 2012. Now, she says, she is forced to choose between her job and her family.More >>
Dashcam footage captures an amazingly acrobatic motorcycle accident. As a car switches lanes, a motorcyclist slams into the vehicle's rear bumper. The motorcyclists is launched into the air, flips andMore >>
Dashcam footage captures an amazingly acrobatic motorcycle accident.More >>
Tuesday, August 19 2014 4:10 PM EDT2014-08-19 20:10:07 GMT
The police chief for Gulf Shores along Alabama's coast is weighing-in on the actions of the law enforcement commander in charge of Ferguson, Missouri's in the wake of an escalating crisis brought on byMore >>
Gulf Shores Police Chief Ed Delmore wrote a blistering open letter to Captain Ronald S. Johnson, who was given command of law enforcement operations following days of looting and rioting in the city.More >>
Toledo fire crews say a flash fire was caused by a natural gas leak in east Toledo Friday, where an explosion injured one person.
Columbia Gas spokesman Chris Kozak says a Columbia Gas crew was repairing a 4-inch line Friday morning in front of a home in the 800 block of Utah Street. The low pressure gas main was leaking and the crew was attempting to put a collar on the line to stop the leak. The gas leaking from the main ignited, burning one of the workers.
"It's something our crew does everyday. So they're always putting their lives at risk - to a certain extent - everyday when they're working with natural gas. And they are experts at what they do, and they do it well. That's why this is a rare occurrence," said Kozak.
Kozak says the worker suffered first and second-degree burns to his face. He was taken by paramedics to a Toledo hospital with a burn unit. He is expected to recover, partially because of the safety procedures in place for Columbia Gas.
"This is an abnormality. Thankfully, the safety steps and procedures were being followed, which allowed us to get the fire put out, get the employee out of the hole, and keep this from being a truly serious incident," said Kozak.
Four houses were ordered to be evacuated shortly after the incident.
The leak has been stopped and all residents are back in their homes. At no time was gas service interrupted in the neighborhood, according to Kozak. After the worker was taken away, crews began cleaning up and repairing the line that needed to be fixed in the first place.