If you suspect a gas leak:
- If you smell gas inside, get out immediately.
- If you suspect a leak outside, turn off and abandon any motorized equipment you might be using.
- Leave the area quickly.
- Warn others to stay away from the area.
- From a safe place, call our emergency number at 1-800-344-4077 and your fire department or police.
- Remain outside until we can send someone to check on the source of the odor.
- An odor of gas outside your home should be reported just as you would report an inside odor. Gas leaks from service lines could migrate into your home through walls or drain lines.
- Light a match or candle, or operate anything that could cause a spark, including cell phones, lights, appliances, flashlights, power tools, etc.
- Open the windows and doors in an attempt to ventilate.
- Try to find the leak yourself or operate pipeline valves.
Source: Columbia Gas