A Tiffin family is being forced to move out of their home and leave everything behind because it's making them sick.More >>
CLYDE, OH (Toledo News Now) -
A lawsuit filed by
families in the Clyde Cancer Cluster says dust samplings done in the attics of
their Clyde homes in March revealed benzaldehyde.
The families allege
benzaldehyde is a cancer-causing chemical that was used by Whirlpool in its
"The filing of the suit
against the likely producer of this compound is to give Whirlpool the chance to
test our attics and then step up, clean them up, and in addition, make right
the wrong that has been committed against our community," said Warren Brown,
who lost his daughter Alexa to brain cancer in 2009.
Before Alexa died, Brown
made several promises to her.
"I told her that we would
find out why, and how, this happened to her, and that I would not relent until
every door and window was nailed so tightly shut that it could not be open," he
Benzaldehyde is defined as
a hazardous substance by the EPA, and attorneys for the families say it was
found in every single home they tested in eastern Sandusky County.
The chemical was not found
in any home tested in the western part of the county.
The lawsuit also claims
that benzaldehyde and other chemicals from the nearby Whirlpool plant caused
Alexa's cancer, and that of several other children who also died or were
Whirlpool Corporation has
released the following statement regarding the lawsuit:
"We are aware of the
filing and we are evaluating these new allegations. We will vigorously defend
Whirlpool, its employees, and the community against these allegations.
Whirlpool has been a part of the fabric of the Clyde community for more than 60
years and we remain committed to acting responsibly."