The Whitehouse Fire Department was called to the 6300 block of Juliana Lane for a natural gas leak Monday morning.
Crews said Toledo Edison workers were installing street lamps in the new subdivision when they accidentally drilled through a gas main.
People living at the home affected were taken to get checked out.
Fortunately, many residents were not home at the time, but those living within an eighth of a mile were evacuated. Surrounding streets were also blocked off.
It took Ohio Gas about two hours to secure the leak. When they were done, the fire department went door to door to check if any gas seeped inside any of the homes.
"Gas is lighter than air, so it will travel with the wind we have today, so it could possibly enter into some of the homes, and we want to make sure there are not any explosive limits in any of the houses," said Fire Chief Daryl McNutt.
After the door-to-door safety check, residents were able to return to their homes.
Copyright 2013 Toledo News Now. All rights reserved.