Sunday, August 31 2014 3:28 PM EDT2014-08-31 19:28:29 GMT
Disturbing pictures of an injured kindergartner from Pascagoula have made a mother's call for action go viral online.More >>
Disturbing pictures of an injured kindergartner from Pascagoula have made a mother's call for action go viral online. Friends and family of a Pascagoula kindergarten student have created a Facebook page and GoFundMe.com account claiming the girl was attacked on the playground this week by another student.More >>
Monday, September 1 2014 10:33 PM EDT2014-09-02 02:33:26 GMT
The Mississippi Highway Patrol has issued an Amber Alert for 17-year-old Katelyn Beard. She was abducted Saturday morning from between 6:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m. from 4244 Lynda Street in Jackson. BeardMore >>
Dewayne Thompson, wanted in the wounding and kidnapping of 17-year-old Katelyn Beard, has been captured by Jackson Police. He was taken into custody around 5:45 in west Jackson near where Beard's vehicle was found earlier today.
Tuesday, August 19 2014 4:53 PM EDT2014-08-19 20:53:02 GMT
A cross was burned in the yard of a Smith County man after what his family is referring to as a vicious hate crime occurred. Family members say that Craig Wilson was beaten with brass knuckles and shotMore >>
A burning cross, a Smith county man beaten and shot by a family member, and in critical condition. We are told this is much more than a family feud, and outraged family members are calling it a "hate crime."
"Simple safety precautions can keep grilling fun and with the right recipe, an enjoyable time for the entire family," said OAPFF President Mark Sanders.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, gas grills have been involved in an annual average of 7,100 house fires from 2006-2010, while charcoal or other solid-fueled grills were involved in an annual average of 1,200 house fires. A total of 28 percent of the home structure fires involving grills started on a courtyard, terrace or patio. Also, flammable or combustible gas or liquid was the item first ignited in almost half of the home outdoor grill fires.
Gas Grill Safety Tips
Liquid petroleum (LP) gas or propane used in gas grills, is highly flammable. Each year, about 30 people are injured as a result of gas grill fires and explosions. Many of these fires and explosions occur when cooks first use a grill that has been left idle for a period of time, or just after refilling and reattaching the grill's gas container.
To reduce the risk of fire or explosion, Ohioans should routinely perform the following safety checks:
-Check the tubes that lead into the burner for any blockage from insects, spiders, or food grease.
-Check grill hoses for cracking, brittleness, holes, and leaks. Make sure there are no sharp bends in the hose or tubing.
-Move gas hoses as far away as possible from hot surfaces and dripping hot grease. If you can't move the hoses, install a heat shield to protect them.
-Replace scratched or nicked connectors, which can eventually leak gas.
-Check for gas leaks following the manufacturer's instructions, if you smell gas or when you reconnect the grill to the LP gas container. If you detect a leak, immediately turn off the gas and don't try to light the grill until the leak is fixed.
-Keep lighted cigarettes, matches, or open flames away from a leaking grill.
-Never use a grill indoors. Use the grill at least 10 feet away from your house or building. Do not use the grill in a garage, breezeway, carport, porch, or under a surface that can catch fire.
-Do not attempt to repair the tank valve or the appliance yourself. See an LP gas dealer or a qualified appliance repair person.
-Always follow the manufacturer's instructions that accompany the grill.
Consumers should use caution when storing LP gas containers. Always keep containers upright. Never store a spare gas container under or near the grill, or indoors. Never store or use flammable liquids, like gasoline, near the grill.
To avoid accidents while transporting LP gas containers, consumers should transport the container in a secure, upright position. Never keep a filled container in a hot car or car trunk; heat will cause the gas pressure to increase, which may open the relief valve and allow gas to escape.
Charcoal Grill Safety Tips
Charcoal produces carbon monoxide (CO) when it is burned. CO is a colorless, odorless gas that can accumulate to toxic levels in closed environments. Each year, about 30 people die and 100 are injured as a result of CO fumes from charcoal grills and hibachis used inside.
To reduce these CO poisonings, the Consumer Product Safety Commission is offering the following safety tips:
-Never burn charcoal inside of homes, vehicles, tents, or campers. Charcoal should never be used indoors, even if ventilation is provided.
-Since charcoal produces CO fumes until the charcoal is completely extinguished, do not store the grill indoors with freshly used coals.
-Make sure coals are completely extinguished and cool before discarding them in a trash can.
"Grill fires are easily preventable. Ohio's fire fighters encourage you to be safe this summer and enjoy the season," said Sanders.
The OAPFF is comprised of more than 10,000 professional fire fighters throughout the Buckeye State. Dedicated to assisting Ohio fire fighters, the OAPFF is also committed to public safety and is a leader in fire safety statewide.