Nearly a dozen people were displaced from their homes, after a fire broke out shortly before midnight at a central Toledo home that then spread to another home.
Firefighters say the blaze at the house on the 1100 block of Avondale Avenue appeared to be "suspicious." The battalion chief tells WTOL 11 a woman and her small child were inside of their home when she heard glass shatter from a window being broken. The woman then saw fire in the rear of her home, grabbed her child, and ran out of the house.
The fire spread quickly to a close neighboring home with nine people inside. Everyone from that house also escaped safely.
Several of those family members say they were all gathered around the TV watching a basketball game when the fire started. They explained how they are a family of four generations under one roof, and they just moved into their home a month ago.
Fire investigators were immediately at the scene looking for clues and speaking with witnesses. Officials say there was a strong odor of gasoline around the front porch, and an empty gas can was found in the backyard.
Both homes suffered significant damage. The exact amount has not yet been estimated.
The mother, who lives at the home which caught on fire, said while she is very shaken up about the fire, she is just happy that she and her 18-month-old child made it out safely.
No injuries were reported.
The Red Cross has been called in to help all 11 people affected.
The fire remains under investigation. Lt. Matt Hertzfeld from Toledo Fire and Rescue says his department is making this a CrimeStopper case. Anyone with more information on this fire should contact CrimeStopper at 419-255-1111. Tipsters can be eligible for a reward if the information leads to an arrest and conviction.
Mobile users, click on the "Video" button in the app to watch this story. Download our app here.
Copyright 2013 Toledo News Now. All rights reserved.
730 North Summit Street