Tuesday, August 19 2014 4:10 PM EDT2014-08-19 20:10:07 GMT
The police chief for Gulf Shores along Alabama's coast is weighing-in on the actions of the law enforcement commander in charge of Ferguson, Missouri's in the wake of an escalating crisis brought on byMore >>
Gulf Shores Police Chief Ed Delmore wrote a blistering open letter to Captain Ronald S. Johnson, who was given command of law enforcement operations following days of looting and rioting in the city.More >>
Deandre Connell said he was doing homework when a bolt of lightning struck a tree outside the living room window. The current traveled through the ground, blowing him off the couch. (8/19/2014) More >>
Deandre Connell said he was doing homework when a bolt of lightning struck a tree outside the living room window. The current traveled through the ground, blowing him off the couch. (8/19/2014)
Explore downtown Toledo this summer with free, guided lunchtime tours.
The walking tours will be held every Thursday from noon to 1 p.m. through the end of August. Some tours include the Adams Street uptown neighborhood and the Oliver House, Toledo's oldest commercial building.
"The walking tours give us all a chance to take a closer look at what makes our city beautiful and unique," said Sue Wuest, assistant director of the University of Toledo Urban Affairs Center. "New to this year's tour is the uptown Adams Street tour and what makes the area so hip, which I think people will enjoy."
Tours will take place rain or shine and are sponsored by UT Urban Affairs Center and the Toledo-Lucas County Public Library.
The tour schedule is:
• July 18 — Casey Pomeroy House. See what comes after an extreme makeover. Meet at 802 Huron Street.
• July 25 — Revealing a Panther: Owens Corning World Headquarters. Meet at main entrance and park in main parking lot. Reservations are required and the tour is limited to 30 people. RSVP by July 23 by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 419-259-5233.
• Aug. 1 — Discover the Oliver House, the oldest commercial building in Toledo. Meet at 27 Broadway Street in the parking lot near the entrance to the Maumee Bay Brewing Company.
• Aug. 8 — Scott High School at 100. Come and see how great the building looks after its renovation. Meet and park in the school parking lot at the back of the building.
• Aug. 15 — The Blade Building, home to one of Toledo's longest running businesses. Meet at main entrance, 541 North Superior Street.
• Aug. 22 — Unmasking the Warehouse District: St. Clair "Hipster" Village. Meet at Downtown Latte, 44 South St. Clair Street.
• Aug. 29 — Uptown Adams Street - not Downtown Adams Street. What makes uptown hip? Meet at 17th and Adams streets.
"I hope the tours help people gain an appreciation for the history of the city and the variety of buildings that we have," said Irene Martin, a preservationist at the Toledo-Lucas County Public Library. "Toledoans should see a structure's possibilities, and not tear down every old building. Many can be saved and renovated."