A sign directs people to one of the two shelters set up by the American Red Cross to assist evacuees on July 8, 2013. (FOX5)
MT. CHARLESTON, NV (FOX5) -
As some of the Carpenter 1 evacuees return home, one of two American Red Cross shelters opened to assist them was closed Monday.
A lightning strike started the blaze in the Carpenter Canyon area on the western side of Mt. Charleston on July 1.
As of Monday afternoon, the wildfire had charred 27,881 acres or roughly 43 square miles. About 1,000 firefighters were battling the blaze, which was 70 percent contained.
More than 500 residents of Kyle, Lee, Lovell and Trout canyons were forced to evacuate because of the fire, prompting the Red Cross to open two shelters to assist them - one at Hafen Elementary School in Pahrump, and the other at James Bilbray Elementary School in Las Vegas.
On Sunday, residents of Trout and Lovell canyons were allowed to return home. They were followed by residents of Lee Canyon, who returned home Monday morning. The Red Cross said that it closed the shelter at Hafen Elementary at noon Monday because all the needs on that side of the mountain had been met.
A majority of the evacuees, about 300, live in the Kyle Canyon area. Officials said those people will be allowed to return home at 10 a.m. Wednesday. The Red Cross said the shelter at James Bilbray Elementary will remain open to assist the remaining evacuees.
Officials said last week they expect to have the fire contained by July 19.
A fire information hotline has been set up at 702-799-4610.
Copyright 2013 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.