Sunday, July 27 2014 5:57 PM EDT2014-07-27 21:57:03 GMT
A dive team is searching for the body of a 34-year-old man from the Toledo area, believed to have drowned in a Jet Ski accident on Saturday. It happened around 8:30 p.m. Saturday in a private pond inMore >>
The body of 34-year-old Jason Mitchell, from Perrysburg, was located by divers around 1pm on Sunday in about seven feet of water.More >>
The Ohio EPA is warning people not to swim in the water at Maumee Bay State Park because of high levels of algae.
"We came out here to jet-ski, but the water's all green and now we can't," said Ethan Fisher, a disappointed visitor.
Some people staying at the park lodge say they were not informed by staff members about any danger.
"No one said anything about any issues with the water," said Keith Ramsay. "[It's very surprising] since this is a state park."
Several signs are posted on the beach, but some visitors would like more.
"It would be helpful to post signs in parking lots, you know, when you first come in the park," said Kathy Brunt.
The Ohio EPA says swimming in the water is especially dangerous for children, elderly, and anyone with a compromised immune system. Swallowing the algae water can damage the liver and nervous system. If it comes in contact with skin, it can cause an allergic reaction.
For more information about health risks, and to see other places with advisory warnings, click here.