Two McMinnville dogs are recovering from burns they suffered after escaping a burning apartment.
That fire started at an apartment building on Monday evening at an apartment complex on Brockwood Avenue.
A picture snapped by a firefighter at the scene shows five-year-old Brandi, a Pit Bull, on the ledge of a second story balcony, as she tries to escape a burning apartment.
"Those two dogs are extremely brave for what they did," said Arvan Sells, owner of the two dogs.
Brandi's friend, Simba, was able to escape after firefighters helped him down from the balcony; however, he ran off.
"They found him behind my work. So the way I picture it, he realized something was going on, and he had to go find dad," said Arvan.
Now, the two dogs are at the McMinnville Veterinary Hospital, recovering from serious burns.
"The dogs just do fabulous. The attitudes with the pitbulls especially. Typically they do so well, and it's amazing what they can handle and don't complain too much about it," said Dr. Aaron Sears, with the McMinnville Veterinary Hospital.
"I can't believe how brave our dogs were that they actually jumped down and saved themselves," said Jessi Sells, one of the owners of the two dogs.
The couple lost pretty much everything in that fire, which started in the kitchen on Monday evening.
At the time, their three-year-old daughter was with a family friend outside of the apartment.
The friend rushed the little girl to safety and then tried to rush in to try and rescue the dogs, but the fire was too intense.
"Knowing Brandi, I bet she was probably trying to fight the fire," said Arvan Sells.
The couple says Brandi is known to attack fireworks, and was likely going after the fire when it first started.
"She has a huge burn on the bottom of her chin and that makes us think she was probably snapping at the fire," added Jessi Sells.
For this couple; their two dogs, Brandi and Simba are a part of the family.
They visit them at the hospital whenever they can, staying optimistic that these kids will heal up quickly.
"They're such good dogs and knowing they went through that and dealing with all that pain, it breaks my heart," added Jessi Sells.
The family is staying with other relatives in the area.
As for the dogs, they'll be in the hospital for another week or so, but have a long healing process.
To help the family out or their two dogs, you can donate at any Wells Fargo Bank under the Arvan and Jessi Sells fire fund.
For those who want to help the dogs; you can donate at any Chase Bank under the McMinnville Animal Welfare Society, or you can stop by at the McMinnville Veterinary Hospital, which is located at 2001 Lafayette Avenue, McMinnville, OR, 503-472-6184.
Copyright 2013 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved.