Wednesday, August 20 2014 1:35 PM EDT2014-08-20 17:35:47 GMT
Lyndi Trischler has a passion for police work. She became a Florence Police officer in February 2012. Last year, she welcomed her first daughter and a few months later became pregnant with her firstMore >>
Lyndi Trischler has a passion for police work. That's why she became a Florence Police officer in 2012. Now, she says, she is forced to choose between her job and her family.More >>
Dashcam footage captures an amazingly acrobatic motorcycle accident. As a car switches lanes, a motorcyclist slams into the vehicle's rear bumper. The motorcyclists is launched into the air, flips andMore >>
Dashcam footage captures an amazingly acrobatic motorcycle accident.More >>
Tuesday, August 19 2014 4:10 PM EDT2014-08-19 20:10:07 GMT
The police chief for Gulf Shores along Alabama's coast is weighing-in on the actions of the law enforcement commander in charge of Ferguson, Missouri's in the wake of an escalating crisis brought on byMore >>
Gulf Shores Police Chief Ed Delmore wrote a blistering open letter to Captain Ronald S. Johnson, who was given command of law enforcement operations following days of looting and rioting in the city.More >>
was a big day for school districts in Michigan. Oct. 2 is the state's fall
state uses attendance numbers on that day to determine funding. Public schools
in Michigan get their per-pupil funding based on blended attendance numbers: 90
percent comes from fall count day numbers in October, and the remaining 10
percent from the previous spring count day in February.
a student is absent, that doesn't necessarily mean they won't get counted.
misperception is that students have to be in class today in order to be
counted," said Blissfield Superintendent Scott Moellenberndt. "In years past,
literally, they had to be in school that day. School districts provided
incentives, assemblies, and all kinds of things."
isn't necessary anymore. Districts can still get funding for students who might
students need to be enrolled, but if for some reason they were to be absent, we
have 10 days to verify the fact that they're a student in good standing," he
10-day buffer takes some of the stress off of the fall count day. Moellenberndt
says they have a 94 percent attendance rate on any given day, and they
communicate with parents of absent children.