Dozens of residents were evacuated following a carbon monoxide leak at a Westwood apartment building.
Fire crews were called to the 2800 block of Harrison Avenue around 9:45 p.m. on Monday night for an unrelated medical emergency. Upon arrival at the four-story apartment building, firefighters discovered traces of carbon monoxide in the area.
"By policy we take in a carbon monoxide detector with our emergency equipment on all of our medical runs," explains Michael Washington of the CIncinnati Fire Department. "They discovered large amounts of carbon monoxide levels in the apartment just behind them. The building was immediately evacuated."
Fire crews say the source of the carbon monoxide was a heating furnace. The building was evacuated and cleared of the poisonous gas.
Fire crews say that initial reports indicated that 21 adults and 15 children were displaced following the incident. The Cincinnati Fire Department is working to relocate the families.
Officers state that the building has had problems in the past.
Copyright 2013 WXIX. All rights reserved.
730 North Summit Street