(WMC-TV) - A tick-borne meat allergy may be to blame for the near death of a man who went into full anaphylactic shock after eating meat while on vacation.
The horrific illness struck several hours after Emmanuel Spencer had eaten a steak dinner and gone to bed. Intense itching woke him up to hives all over his body.
"I feel like I have to throw up. I go into bathroom. I get dizzy. I'm walking out of the bathroom and that's when I'm feeling my throat closing up," he said.
So far, about 1,500 people have the mystery meat allergy, but now researchers believe the number is higher. Allergists are seeking answers to how a tick bite induces an allergic reaction.
Click here for the full story.