Wednesday, August 20 2014 1:35 PM EDT2014-08-20 17:35:47 GMT
Lyndi Trischler has a passion for police work. She became a Florence Police officer in February 2012. Last year, she welcomed her first daughter and a few months later became pregnant with her firstMore >>
Lyndi Trischler has a passion for police work. That's why she became a Florence Police officer in 2012. Now, she says, she is forced to choose between her job and her family.More >>
Dashcam footage captures an amazingly acrobatic motorcycle accident. As a car switches lanes, a motorcyclist slams into the vehicle's rear bumper. The motorcyclists is launched into the air, flips andMore >>
Dashcam footage captures an amazingly acrobatic motorcycle accident.More >>
Tuesday, August 19 2014 4:10 PM EDT2014-08-19 20:10:07 GMT
The police chief for Gulf Shores along Alabama's coast is weighing-in on the actions of the law enforcement commander in charge of Ferguson, Missouri's in the wake of an escalating crisis brought on byMore >>
Gulf Shores Police Chief Ed Delmore wrote a blistering open letter to Captain Ronald S. Johnson, who was given command of law enforcement operations following days of looting and rioting in the city.More >>
Toledo Fire Department wants to remind residents to heat homes safely during
this stretch of cold weather.
say January is one of the top months for heating-related fires. Officials say
prevention is key when it comes to protecting your home this winter.
the temperatures outside drop, many people crank up the thermostat or turn to
alternative heat sources, but fire officials say those heat sources can be
dangerous if you aren't careful.
a lot of people out there that are using extra forms of heat and if they're not
taking care of or using the proper precautions with, it's very common for us to
see an increase in fires," said Lt. Robert Walters, of Toledo Fire and Rescue.
statistics show heating equipment starts one out of every five house fires.
Those fires cause more than 600 deaths per year. That's why Lt. Walters and the
rest of the department want to remind people to take extra precautions.
important to make sure your heating equipment is in good working order," he
said. "Make sure it's clean."
also important to keep the area around the heat source clean and free from
other thing to watch out for is carbon monoxide from improperly vented
can cause dizziness, nausea and unfortunately in some rare instances, people have
died from it," Walters said.
make sure space heaters are kept at a safe distance from items that could catch
fire, like a couch or bed. And as always, a working smoke and carbon monoxide
detector can help alert you at the first sign of any issue.