Even more Target shoppers could have their personal information at risk, according to a report released Thursday.
In December, the company said that hackers stole the credit and debit card numbers along with the expiration dates of up to 40 million shoppers.
"As you may have heard or read, Target learned in mid-December that criminals forced their way into our systems and took guest information, including debit and credit card data," said CEO Gregg Steinhafel in an email to customers on Thursday.
Target officials previously said the breach impacted customers who shopped over a three-week period starting on Black Friday.
Last week, Target officials said that up to another 70 million customers may have had their names, mailing addresses and email addresses hacked.
"Late last week, as part of our ongoing investigation, we learned that additional information was also taken. I am writing to make you aware that your name, mailing address, phone number or email address may have been taken during the intrusion," Steinhafel said.
On Thursday afternoon another bombshell, Forbes Magazine reports the breach by hackers could include your personal information from purchases you made a decade ago.
Eyewitness News reached out to the nation's second largest retailer to confirm those details.
Target officials said "the theft is not a new breach, but was uncovered as part of the ongoing investigation." Company officials said those impacted by the breach have been contacted.
"I know that it is frustrating for our guests to learn that this information was taken and we are truly sorry they are having to endure this. I also want our guests to know that understanding and sharing the facts related to this incident is important to me and the entire Target team," Steinhafel said.
Meanwhile there are signs that this is starting to impact sales. Last week, Target officials said since the hacking announcement, sales have fallen about 2 percent.
Target offered free credit protection for customers who were impacted by the breach. There will also be "zero liability for the cost of any fraudulent charges arising from the breach."
Earlier this week, Connecticut Attorney General George Jepsen and state Department of Consumer Protection Commissioner William M. Rubenstein released a joint statement where they "strongly encouraged" Connecticut residents "to take advantage" of the program.
To sign up for the free credit monitoring, click here.
To learn more about the Target breach, click here.
Copyright 2014 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
730 North Summit Street