A Dadeville woman lost her life in a house fire near Lake Martin Tuesday morning. It happened inside an apartment behind the main residence on Duck Cove Lane. This is where Catherine Tankersley's step-father succeeded in putting out the blaze.
"When we arrived we found two spent powdered fire extinguishers near the door and the step-father used several buckets of water to put out the fire. He did a good job," said Dadeville Fire Chief Ralph Emerson.
Chief Emerson says 9 volunteer firefighters responded with two pumpers.
Despite the step-father's courageous efforts the smoke was too much for Tankersley. She was 49-years-old.
It's not clear what started the blaze. The state fire marshal is investigation the situation.
This is the second fatal fire in Tallapoosa County in two weeks. The first one occurred in Tallassee where a 65-year old man died. A space heater is being blamed in that case.
For Dadeville this is the first fire death this year but the third structure fire in three weeks.
"It's been very busy. The first two were wiring-related," said Emerson.
Beyond Dadeville it's been a very deadly month for the entire state of Alabama. The new year is only a few weeks old and already 11 people have died in house fires. By comparison 6 people died statewide for the whole month of January in 2012.
"People are trying to stay warm," Emerson said.
Meantime, Catherine Tankersley's family said their goodbyes Thursday afternoon. Her funeral was held in nearby Alex City.
Copyright 2014 WSFA 12 News. All rights reserved.
730 North Summit Street