Investigators are still trying to pinpoint what started a fire that killed a 75-year-old woman in Cadiz. Firefighters said Dorothy Mitchell simply took in too much smoke when her Rocky Ridge Road home caught fire Friday morning.
"It was a shock," said neighbor Teresa Notman. "I just can't believe that she's gone."
Notman said it's hard to look at Mitchell's home with burned pages from books scattering out the front door and ice from fire hoses on the window sills.
Mitchell's son told Channel 4 his mother lived on Rocky Ridge Road for all her 75 years. He said she previously kept a corn and tobacco farm on the property and was still working as a substitute teacher for Trigg County.
"She told me she loved to teach children," said Notman. "It kept her busy. It kept her mind going."
Notman added she'll never forget Mitchell's kind heart and the way she took care of the animals in the neighborhood.
"When my dog got out, she took time to stop and call me and let me know he was out," said Notman. "If it wasn't for her, I would've lost him a few times."
As a harsh winter wind blew over Cadiz, rocking the siding torn from the home, Notman said the neighbors on her quiet road will never forget Mitchell. With a young grandson soon headed to school, Notman said she can only hope he'll find a teacher as caring as her longtime friend.
"She was a very, very nice woman," said Notman. "She was kind, and she was kind to me. She's going to be greatly missed."
Copyright 2014 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
730 North Summit Street