Driving through the intersection of Five Mile Road and Beechmont Avenue in Anderson Township is a dangerous journey, leading it to be named the top ranked intersection for crashes in Hamilton County for 2013.
In a list assembled by Hamilton County engineers that looked at the number of accidents and injuries compared to the average daily traffic, Five Mile and Beechmont came in first with 32 accidents and five injuries. More than 57,000 vehicles travel through the intersection daily.
Coming in at No. 2 was the intersection of Springdale Road and Colerain Avenue in Colerain Township with 23 accidents, while Galbraith Road and Winton Road near Finneytown was No. 3 with 22 crashes, down one spot from its 2012 ranking.
"Winton and Galbraith is always in the top five," said Hamilton County engineer Theodore Hubbard. "Five Mile and Beechmont is always in the top five. If you look over the years, it floats in and out of the top five, but predominantly is in the top five."
Hubbard said the list is extremely important as it helps decide capital improvements, where the county will spend money to improve safety.
Engineers ranked the intersection of Harrison Road and Rybolt Road in front of Kohl's in Dent No. 4 with 21 crashes, with the nearby intersection of Harrison Road, Old Rybolt Road and I-74 coming at No. 5.
Two intersections tied for #6: Highland Avenue and Ridge Road in Oakley, and the area around Mason-Montgomery, I-71 North and Governors Way in Symmes Township, a high traffic area that drivers told FOX19 is an ongoing problem.
"Horrendous, very horrendous," said David Evans, who works off Mason-Montgomery Road. "People are stuck and they get tired of waiting and they pull out and they're rear-ended by somebody."
Evans hopes road construction projects in the area will improve traffic and reduce the number of crashes. Hamilton County engineers said they're working with regional agencies and the Ohio Department of Transportation on several projects, including extending the I-71 off-ramp and creating a northbound loop ramp onto northbound Mason-Montgomery Road.
The Top 10 List:
1. Five Mile Road and Beechmont Avenue in Anderson Township
2. Springdale Road and Colerain Avenue in Colerain Township
3. Galbraith Road and Winton Road bear Finneytown
3. Galbraith Road and Colerain Road in White Oak
4. Harrison Road and Rybolt Road in front of Kohl's in Dent
5. Harrison Avenue, I-74 and Old Rybolt Road in Dent
6. Highland Avenue and Ridge Road in Oakley
6. Mason-Montgomery Road, Governors Way and I-71 North in Symmes Township
7. North Bend Road and West Fork Road in Monfort Heights
7. Harrison Avenue and Race Street in Bridgetown
8. Eight Mile Road and Beechmont Avenue in Anderson Township
8. Cheviot Road and Jessup Road in White Oak
8. Struble Road, Colerain Avenue and Old Colerain Avenue
8. Houston Road, Hamilton Avenue (US 127) and I-275
9. Kenwood Road and Montgomery Road in Kenwood
10. Galbraith Road and Montgomery Road in Kenwood
The total number of accidents has steadily declined over the years. Engineers said in 1996 Winton Road and Galbraith Road was No.1 with 61 crashes compared to 2013 where the top-ranked intersection had 32 accidents. Engineers credit the decrease to creative traffic engineering and management of traffic flow.
The Ohio Department of Transportation also tracks crashes at both rural and urban intersections.
URBAN INTERSECTIONS (2010-2012)
1. Clermont County: Appalachian Highway (SR-32) at CR-171 (Old SR 74 Road)
2. Butler County: Princeton-Glendale Road at Tylersville Road in West Chester
3. Butler County: Dixie Highway at Symmes Road in Fairfield
4. Butler County: Roosevelt Boulevard at Breiel Boulevard
5. Butler County: Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard at High Street in Hamilton
6. Hamilton County: Colerain Avenue at Galbraith Road
7. Clermont County: Ohio Pike at Amelia Court
8. Butler County: Dixie Highway at Holden Boulevard
9. Hamilton County: Beechmont Avenue at Five Mile Road
10. Clermont County: Appalachian Highway at Gleneste Withamsville Road
RURAL INTERSECTIONS (2010 -2012)
1. Hamilton County: Cincinnati Louisville Road at Ohio 128 in Whitewater Township
2. Clermont County: Plane Street at Ohio 133 in Bethel
3. Hamilton County: Cincinnati Louisville Road at Lawrenceburg Road
4. Hamilton County: Cincinnati Louisville Road at Kilby Road
5. Warren County: US-22 at Zoar Road
6. Butler County: Trenton Oxford Road at Wehr Road
7. Warren County: SR-73 at Main Street
8. Clermont County: Plane Street at SR-232
9. Warren County: Main Street at SR-73
10. Butler County: Trenton Oxford Road at Elkton Road
In Northern Kentucky, Fowler Creek and Senour Road in Kenton County and KY 18 and Houston Road in Boone County present the greatest problems.
"The new Aero Parkway that was recently constructed and opened should help relieve the KY 18 and KY 842 intersection," said Kentucky Transportation Cabinet Public Information Officer Nancy Wood. "There is a Highway Safety Improvement project in the works for KY 1486 & KY 2047. It is currently in design."
Copyright 2014 WXIX. All rights reserved.
730 North Summit Street