Tuesday, March 11 2014 1:11 PM EDT2014-03-11 17:11:39 GMT
Rain showers will arrive in the late evening hours tonight and begin to mix with sleet and freezing rain after midnight. Areas of moderate to potentially heavy snow expected into Wednesday morning.More >>
Rain showers will arrive into the late evening hours tonight and then begin to mix with sleet and freezing rain well after midnight. Areas of moderate to potentially heavy snow will be expected into Wednesday morning.
Are you interested in helping others with their consumer problems? Call 11 for Action can use your help.
Are you interested in helping others with their consumer problems? Call 11 for Action can use your help.More >>
(Toledo News Now) -
The severe winter, followed by a quick snow thaw will lead inevitably to household repairs. Roofs, windows, driveways, sewage systems, you name it - trouble is on the way. If you should be unfortunate and have damage, this is also the time when crooks and thieves masquerading as repairmen, come out of hibernation. Last week, Call 11 For Action aired a story about a woman encountering just such an unscrupulous repairman. In this case, with the help of Brandon Jones and the Call 11 For Action team, she got her money back. It doesn't always work that way.
According to the Professional Remodelers Organization, there are 5 basic things you can do to avoid being scammed.
1. Ask for references and ask if the contractor is both licensed and insured.
2. Always get more than one estimate
3. Most smaller jobs should not require a down payment but if one is needed use the "draw" method: 1/3 after the job is started, another 1/3 after the job is more than one-half completed, and final payment upon completion.
4. Check with the Better Business Bureau.
5. Always call The Professional Remodelers Organization at 419-471-0101 or visit its website at: hireaprotoday.com
If you have any questions, be sure to reach out to WTOL11 and Call 11 for Action. Remember, it is easier to avoid the scam artist than it is to fix the mess he leaves behind. Take the time to see how your repairman measures up to these 5 truth tests. It will be worth it.
If you've been the victim of a scam, Call 11 For Action at 419-255-2255.