(WMC-TV) - A 12-year-old babysitter saved a choking 4-year-old after thinking quickly rather than panicking.
Morgan Brownlee is Lily Milsom's personal hero. The teen saved her life Saturday night. Brownlee babysat Lily and her brother Devin.
"I had made them dinner lily she had a bad cough," said Brownlee.
Brownlee says Lily started eating and then started coughing. Lily's face became red, and she stopped coughing.
"So I knew that she had stopped breathing," said Brownlee.
There was no landline to call 911, and Brownlee's cell phone was not working.
"I had to do the Heimlich maneuver on her," she said. "It scared me, but I knew exactly what to do because the babysitting class I'd taken taught me exactly what to do."
She says it took about six tries to dislodge the food from Lily's passageway.
"It was scary because you don't always know who you can trust to stay with your children. We always knew Morgan was a really good babysitter," said Lily's mother Sue Milsom.
Dennis Milsom, Lily's father, says these situations should make parents reflect on having multiple means of communication.
Brownlee's father was next door when all of this happened. He immediately rushed over to check on the girls.
730 North Summit Street