TPD gives official all-clear following threat at Waite High - Toledo News Now, Breaking News, Weather, Sports, Toledo

TPD gives official all-clear following threat at Waite High School

Posted: Updated:
TOLEDO, OH (Toledo News Now) -

Toledo Police say they have completed a sweep of Waite High School Friday morning, following a threat involving an explosive device. Shortly before 9:30 a.m., police gave the all clear and students returned to class.

Police say they received two calls at 6:15 and 6:31 a.m. Friday, during which a person said they would blow up an explosive device inside the school. Some students were already at school, others were just arriving.

TPS encouraged students to still come to school, as classes would resume once a building search was complete. However, parents are allowed to pick up their children from school.

Students who had already arrived at the school were redirected to the football stadium. Police sent students inside the field house while crews swept the building. Nothing was found.

During a press conference Friday morning, TPS Superintendent Dr. Romules Durant said they take threats very seriously, and that he is proud of the response from police, students and staff. Durant emphasized an incredible amount of manpower is used when responding to threats.

"It's always great to know that certain situations happen that aren't necessarily legit, but the reality is, you always have to be prepared for the unexpected. And so our students and our staff responded excellently, along with the TPD, who came through the building. They have been great to work with in these types of scenarios," said Durant.

TPS sends out protocol and procedures for parents and students to follow in lockdowns and evacuation situations in the handbook at the beginning of every year. TPS did notify parents through e-mail and the alert system once the TPD was at the building. They did not want to do it sooner and interfere with the police investigation.

All day, Toledo police officers and TPS security will patrol in and around the building -- more as peace of mind for students and parents.

The investigation into who made the threats is ongoing.

Ottawa County Sheriff Stephen Levorchick says his office has a suspect in custody in connection to the series of bomb threats at schools across northwest Ohio. 

Levorchick says the calls were traced back to Charles Tingler Friday afternoon. Tingler was arrested and charged with inducing panic for making threats at Sandusky and Oak Harbor high schools. The sheriff's office says he also admitted to making the threat at Waite High School, although it is unclear if and how he will be charged with that incident. In total, the sheriff says Tingler admitted to making 10 or 11 threatening calls.


Read more about the arrest.


Michelle Zepeda is now following this story and will have more details on the investigation tonight on WTOL 11 News starting at 5. She'll also look into the recent spike in these types of threats being called into schools around northwest Ohio.

Follow Toledo News Now:  

Mobile users, click on the "video" button in the app to watch this story. Download our app here.

Copyright 2014 Toledo News Now. All rights reserved.

  • TPD gives official all-clear following threat at Waite High SchoolMore>>

  • CONNECT WITH US

    CONNECT WITH US

    LIKE us on Facebook - Follow us on Twitter -  Get Text & Email Alerts - Download our Apps - Send us photos & videoMore >>
    LIKE us on Facebook - Follow us on Twitter -  Get Text & Email Alerts - Download our Apps - Send us photos & videoMore >>