Father of school bomb threat suspect says he is not bad - Toledo News Now, Breaking News, Weather, Sports, Toledo

Father of school bomb threat suspect says he is not a bad kid

Posted: Updated:
Charles L. Tingler (Source: Ottawa County Sheriff's Office) Charles L. Tingler (Source: Ottawa County Sheriff's Office)
PORT CLINTON, OH (Toledo News Now) -

Charles Tingler's father says he can't believe his boy is in trouble and caused all the commotion, after admitting to using a phone app to make bomb threats. Tingler is only charged with inducing panic in connection with the bomb threats he admitted placing to Oak Harbor High School and Middle School.

The Ottawa County Drug Task Force says Tingler told them he made threats to area businesses such as the Walmart in Fremont. More charges could be coming in three other counties.

The Ottawa County Drug Task Force says Tingler told them he had a phone app that disguised his voice when he made the threats. At his home in Oak Harbor, Tingler told them the calls started out as pranks but got out of control.

"Absolutely. He was extremely remorseful, so much toward the end of the interview he was crying and broke down and took full responsibility for it," said Agent Don St. Clair, Ottawa County Drug Task Force.

Charles Tingler says his son lives with him, is a regular churchgoer and works at the Port Clinton Walmart.

"He's not a bad kid. This is out of his range. Never dreamed he would do something like this. But he admitted doing this. If he admitted it, he admitted it," said Tingler.

Tingler says his son told him he followed the bomb threats on the news. He said he is trying to contact him in the Ottawa County Detention Center, but so far has had no luck.

"I told him to call me with what's going on. I haven't heard from him," said Tingler.

Meanwhile Tingler will make his first court appearance Monday in Ottawa County Municipal Court.

Related:

Suspect arrested in series of school bomb threats

School bomb threat suspect used SpoofCard services

TPD gives official all-clear following threat at Waite High School

Oak Harbor school officials review protocol after two bomb threats

Threat reported at Sandusky High School

All clear given after bomb threat to Oak Harbor Middle, High School

Follow Toledo News Now:

Mobile users, click on the "video" button in the app to watch this story. Download our app here.

Copyright 2014 Toledo News Now. All rights reserved.

  • Father of school bomb threat suspect says he is not a bad kidMore>>