Elyria Firefighters: Natural gas is the cause of Saturday's expl - Toledo News Now, Breaking News, Weather, Sports, Toledo

Elyria Firefighters: Natural gas is the cause of Saturday's explosion

Posted: Updated:
187 Bath Street, Elyria 187 Bath Street, Elyria
ELYRIA, OH (WOIO) -
Firefighters now say the cause of Saturday's house explosion was a natural gas leak.

This happened at 187 Bath Street, a 2 1/2 story house which is broken into five apartments.
Three of those are occupied.

When Elyria Firefighters arrived, there was heavy fire in the back of the building.

A 24-year-old woman was burned over 29 percent of her body. She was life-flighted to Metro. No condition is being released.

A neighbor told 19 Action News Reporter Laura DeMaria that he helped the woman out of the house.  

The woman managed to tell witnesses that she lit a cigarette inside the home before everything blew up.

Columbia Gas turned off the gas and the incident remains under investigation.

Copyright 2014 WOIO. All rights reserved.