Carpenter exposed to dangerous gas; boss pulls him to safety - Toledo News Now, Breaking News, Weather, Sports, Toledo

Carpenter exposed to dangerous gas; boss pulls him to safety

Posted: Updated:
A high level of carbon monoxide exposure has a man recovering at the Regional Medical Center. He was transported in critical condition after collapsing at work Monday afternoon. A high level of carbon monoxide exposure has a man recovering at the Regional Medical Center. He was transported in critical condition after collapsing at work Monday afternoon.
MEMPHIS, TN -

(WMC) - A high level of carbon monoxide exposure has a man recovering at the Regional Medical Center. He was transported in critical condition after collapsing at work on Monday afternoon.

Sounds from an ambulance remind some living at Williamsburg Manor to pay close attention to the noises that come from a carbon monoxide detector.

Neighbors learned that a man working in one of the buildings was exposed to so much carbon monoxide that his boss had to save him.

Elliot Brown is the unit's property manager. He says a carbon monoxide monitor was beeping when he found his carpenter unresponsive.

"I had to pull him out, and then I had to lay him on the ground, and he started to have a seizure, and I held his mouth open," said Brown.

The victim was responsive when he was taken to the hospital.

This serves as an unfortunate reminder to make sure your family's home has a carbon monoxide detector, because you won't see or smell the dangerous gas.

"We put carbon monoxide smoke detectors in all of our units, and we're just trying to make sure that everybody stays safe and everybody can breathe," said Brown.

Fire investigators say families with appliances like hot water heaters and stoves should have a carbon monoxide detector and only allow approved technicians to do installations.

Copyright 2014 WMC Action News 5. All rights reserved.