Tuesday, August 19 2014 4:10 PM EDT2014-08-19 20:10:07 GMT
The police chief for Gulf Shores along Alabama's coast is weighing-in on the actions of the law enforcement commander in charge of Ferguson, Missouri's in the wake of an escalating crisis brought on byMore >>
Gulf Shores Police Chief Ed Delmore wrote a blistering open letter to Captain Ronald S. Johnson, who was given command of law enforcement operations following days of looting and rioting in the city.More >>
Deandre Connell said he was doing homework when a bolt of lightning struck a tree outside the living room window. The current traveled through the ground, blowing him off the couch. (8/19/2014) More >>
Deandre Connell said he was doing homework when a bolt of lightning struck a tree outside the living room window. The current traveled through the ground, blowing him off the couch. (8/19/2014)
According to Toledo Fire and Rescue,
if you live in a manufactured home, your chance of dying in a fire is increased
by nearly 50 percent.
One of the most tragic fires in recent years in a manufactured home happened
last September in Tiffin. The blaze claimed the lives of five young children
and one adult.
firefighter Jamie Ferguson doesn't want to see that happen again. So, he met with
dozens of residents at the Bel Aire Manufactured Home Park on Nebraska Avenue.
"We have smoke that can travel a complete structure very quickly in some of
these old homes. They're small but the product burning is going to emit a lot
of toxic gases. And it would be very easy to be overcome by those fumes," said Ferguson.
Ferguson says the leading cause of residential fires, especially in manufactured
homes, is unattended cooking.
"It's just a way for us to measure what people know about fire safety," Ferguson
explained to the crowd Wednesday evening.
Ferguson warned to never walk away from the food on their stove in their homes,
fall asleep, or get distracted.
Residents say they took the warning seriously.
"I don't have a regular stove. I use just those double burners and, I don't
know, they get oily sometimes so the pans will slide. So it's always something.
There are a lot of dangers that lie with cooking," said Amber Willmarth.
participated in the training all received a free smoke detector. Toledo
firefighters even installed the detectors inside their homes. The training was
paid for by a grant from the Federal Emergency Management Agency. For more,