Fulton Co. Historical Society shares 1907 photo of Lutz School - Toledo News Now, Breaking News, Weather, Sports, Toledo

Fulton Co. Historical Society shares 1907 photo of Lutz School

Posted: Updated:
A Lutz School reunion, taken in 1957 A Lutz School reunion, taken in 1957
1907 photo of Lutz students 1907 photo of Lutz students
Charles and Louise Nash's two surviving children: Chuck Nash and Irene Vanscoder Charles and Louise Nash's two surviving children: Chuck Nash and Irene Vanscoder
FULTON COUNTY, OH (Press Release) -

The Fulton County Historical Society has shared the first known photograph of the former Lutz School House #8.

The photo was taken in 1907 of the school's teacher and students. The daughter of one of the students pictured contacted the Fulton County Museum to share the story of her immigrant grandmother, who sent her nine children to the one-room school.

From Irene Vanscoder:

"29-year-old widow Caroline Klorer and her 6 children emigrated from St. Nicklous South Baden Breisach, Germany on the La Bretagne to her brother's home in Toledo, OH in 1901. There, she fell in love and married 69-year-old John Perl from Swan Creek Township in 1904, Fulton County, OH. On their 70 acre farm in section 33, Caroline gave birth to three more children. Two of these children are listed in the 1923 Lutz School records donated to the historical society in 2011 by the Swan Creek Township trustees.

Many of the children in the photograph were neighbors of the Klorers and eventually married into the family. The Nash family, for example, owned 40 acres in Section 34 which was just across County Road 4 (Utah Alley) and directly west of the Lutz school on Road D (Archbold-Lutz Road). Charles William Nash and Louise Klorer were married 9 years after she was photographed in this picture and purchased part of his father's farm. Mr. Nash ended up only attending 4 years at the little white school house and is not in the 1907 photograph. Charlie Krauss, who was from the Lutz School, also ended up marrying one of Caroline's daughters—Marie.

"Charles and Louise Nash raised 12 children in Fulton County. Only two survive—Chuck Nash (88) and Irene Vanscoder (81). Irene lived on the Nash Family farm until she married in 1952. When Irene was 7 and entering first grade in Liberty Center, the Lutz School had recently closed and moved west down the road to become a township hall and voting precinct."

The Lutz School is now restored and located on the grounds of the Fulton County Fair. For more information on the Lutz School, visit www.fultoncountyhs.org.  Township Trustees will be present for tours during the fair from August 29 through September 4, 2014.